The resulting fall was tiny, and Mr Clear only received a few small grazes.
Moments later, after he got back up, he noticed smoke pouring from his rear and felt a searing sensation on the right side of his buttocks. The phone melted through three layers of his skin and he needed a graft.
Mr Clear’s burns were so bad that he was sent to the Royal North Shore burns unit for a skin graft, and will now spend the next six days attached to a machine which sits inside the graft, vacuuming out the dead, charred skin and encouraging healthy skin to grow in its place.
He wants his accident to be an eye opener to other active people who carry their phones with them.